Monday, May 20, 2013

CHANGE

This is my last picture/memory of Jack with his McQueen hat and Nora with her pacifier.

September 15th, 2012.  It was a Saturday and we spent the afternoon at the park with friends eating dinner, playing on the swingset and hiking the trails.  It was 6 PM and we got home- both kids were passed out cold.  I cut their fingernails, washed their faces and hands with a washcloth, and neither kid flinched.  I knew I was going to be up at 5:30 AM with them if we put them to bed, but I didn't want to be up until midnight (or later) either.

So, we did the unthinkable.  After a short conversation between Dan and me, I took both the hat and the pacifier and hid them.  The pacifier was starting to bother me, and the hat that Jack rarely took off for over 1 year and 3 months (only for baths and church) was really starting to bother Dan.  And with that they were gone.

The next morning, surprisingly we made it until 6:30 AM, and Jack asked for his hat.  I told him I couldn't find it- he decided that we had lost it.  For days he asked for it, but we just never could find it.  No tears, just "oh well."  Much easier than we thought it would be considering his attachment.  (The hat, 9 months later, is still hidden in my pajama drawer.  One of these days it will find it's way into his keepsake box.)

Nora never really asked for her pacifier after that, so that was lucky.  She was having a very hard time sleeping since our vacation and the pacifier wasn't doing us any good anyway.  She still had a hard time sleeping, but decided that it was due to her crib instead.  So shortly after the pacifier disappeared, she moved to a toddler bed too.  Finally we were getting a little sleep.

No comments: