Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Moment of Weakness

Jack loves to pray.
It all began months ago- him folding his arms, waiting to eat until we were all done.

Then, he wouldn't just listen but participate with an excited "AMEN" after everyone has said it (even in church meetings, which is very cute. The bishop has even commented on Jack's amens that he can hear at the front of the chapel.)

And recently, we have given Jack the opportunity to say the prayers. Either Dan or I lead the prayer, and each thought ends with an easy word that Jack likes to say. Like: "We are thankful for our mom and dad." And he says "mom and dad." Or "Bless the food," He says "food."

Well, this week I have reached a new low, or high, depending on how you look at it. :)

A little back story- Jack hasn't been sleeping well for almost a month. At first it was very sweet, him waking up at 4 AM asking to "guggle." I go in, hold him for one minute-literally one minute- and then ask him if he wants to go in his crib. He says yes, I put him back in and he sleeps until 8:30. It doesn't get much better than that! I loved it, even if it was interrupted sleep. (I was up to go to the bathroom anyway.)

Then, he got sick. Just a cold but there was no recovering from his middle of the night wakings, and things were not so easy. He didn't want to go right back to bed. I spent a couple nights on the couch with him, snuggling him on his floor, anything to get him to sleep. MISERABLE.

And of course, it never went back to how good we had it. Most nights we were up 2 times, but some nights up to 4-5 times. I was dying, Dan was even participating in the middle of the night madness!

After a night away for me (girls night in Chicago with a couple of friends), and a couple of rotten Sundays in nursery because Jack didn't get enough sleep, I decided we had had enough.

Monday night, as I rocked Jack in his chair for the 3rd attempt at going to sleep in his own crib (I am on my last straw... SO TIRED!) I asked him if he wanted to pray. This is how it goes...

M: Please bless Jack to sleep in his own crib J: sleep crib
M: Bless mom and dad to sleep good J: sleep good
M: Help us to be happy in the morning J: Happy
M: Bless us with patience and to be kind J: Kind

It goes on and on... this is my moment of weakness. As tears ran down my face I thought of many ways to have Jack pray for all of the things I needed. I needed a good nights sleep, I needed him to be happy in the morning. I needed some down time. ALL OF IT!

It is amazing how prayers are answered. Whether it was my prayer, or Jack's prayer, it happens. Do I feel a little guilty using my sweet two year old to pray for all of the things I needed, and he doesn't have a clue what that will mean for him? Maybe a little.

2 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

That's what kids are for! So you can tell them to pray for you, ha ha. But really, I think it was perfectly good for the both of you, Jack learns compassion for others. And the prayer was answered. I hope your good nights continue.

The Gray Gang said...

I LOVE IT! Good for you. I hope you are getting the sleep you need. It was fun talking the other night. Do you have time for a girls night before the baby. Either a big party or a few ladies out for dinner. Let me know. I'd love to put something together.