Thursday, July 15, 2010

3 1/2 years in the making...

3 1/2 years ago (almost to the day) we bought our house. Signed the papers, and ran over to our new home to change the locks and take an inventory of what we were going to do before the big MOVE IN day. We brought over the big screen tv, a recliner, and a card table so that we had something to do when we were there for long periods of time. Isn't it funny where our priorities are-note we weren't smart enough to think "we won't have cable at the new house yet, so why bother with the tv???"

Rewind a little over a month- We put an offer on the house. The next day we found out we had an accepted offer. The next day (my birthday) Dan had hernia surgery. It was an eventful couple of days- and what do I do when life is exciting and/or stressful??? I start a project. Shopping for fabric, picking a pattern. etc. Well- I took over a year to find all of the fabric, before I started. Then I started and stopped. When I wanted to make Jack's quilt, I made myself finish the top to this quilt (that was 1 1/2 years ago) and just this last week I put it all together, quilted the top and finished the binding. HOORAY!!! It is done and on the bed.

Sadly, I don't love it for summer time, but it will grow on me. :) If anything it is there to remind me that I can do it and maybe I'll make a brighter, more summery quilt. (Hopefully Dan doesn't read all of this, I'm not sure he'd be thrilled with another project... I'm pretty sure he will stop reading by now.)



Jack and I made cookies last weekend- it was NOT a success. Fun to say we did it, but cleaning up the mess, dealing with a stubborn"I want more flour" attitude was not nearly as fun as I thought it might be.
Jack loves our shoes, and his shoes (not sandals though). He always messes with them, but this is the first time he got them on the right way! He worked really hard at this.
His favorite thing to do in the morning, no matter how soon we have to leave for school, is climb into the glider and read books. He prefers to be naked, but I try to put my foot down. He is happy though.
Sorry for all of the lame pacifier pictures, both of them are before breakfast- I am hoping to drop the pacifier next month! Wish us luck!

And a new toy that Dan and Jack were playing with. I have videos where he says "go" after I say 1-2-3, and some where he actually gets the rocket fired off, but none with both. Go figure.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Awesome quilt. I am NOWHERE NEAR that kind of sewing precision and capability...so I think it looks amazing! Also, I love reading your blogs because I can just hear your voice...you type the same way you talk, and that's good because it's all very entertaining. :)

kris said...

that's amazing! I could never do that, way to go! I love how he started to eat the rocket... :)

Kim Cannon said...

Beautiful quilt. I love it! I am sure it feels so good to have it done!

Megan said...

Amazing job on the quilt. I wish I could do something like that.

Brittany and Scott said...

maralee the quilt looks GREAT!!! i wish i had your talent and patience to make one myself.