Monday, July 26, 2010

A sad sad story...

I am not a "oh, pity me. My life is so hard" type of person. But just for today "pity me, my life is so hard..."


For the past 3 weeks I have spent countless hours in our basement. Jack's naps, late nights when Dan plays basketball or has to work late, Brewers games, and even working along side Jack on our days off. When I decide to get something done, I do it!

You would look at my basement and think, what took so much time? I didn't finish anything off, did not paint over our green basement walls, didn't install flooring or any other high quality improvements. I sorted toys, old video games, books, clothing, junk, everything! i moved all our work out equipment (that we never use) from one side of the basement to the other. I condensed and reorganized our storage area. I vacuumed rugs, relocated my crafting corner and made a play area for Jack. I swept, I wiped, I cleaned. Pretty much all of the crappy things that our basement was so badly in need of.

I was so proud of myself, and yet I have no pictures to show you. Our basement flooded last Thursday night when the heavy rains kept coming and coming and coming. Only half of the basement- but it was the side I had just set up with toys and games, a train table, Jack's ball pit, and my crafting stuff. It is really depressing to think about.

Dan and I squeegeed water, mopped the floor. My dad came and helped put in a back up sump pump that night to help control the massive amounts of water that kept on falling from the sky. Saturday while Dan sucked water out of other people's basements, i tore apart all of my hard work. Pulling up rugs, the massive 70's carpet that was under our ping pong table. I moved toys and piled things in the dry side of our basement, just so I could begin the recovery process.

I was just downstairs trying to finish moving the rugs. I laid some out in the back yard to dry, and the big one is still downstairs dripping water. Maybe later this week i will be able to put things back together. But until then, just imagine my disappointment. Maybe, just maybe, you'll feel a little sorry for me.

The hardest part- i have no one to blame. In my excitement to get rid of junk, I pushed a recliner (that doesn't really work- I want to throw it away!) in the corner blocking the sump pump. I am pretty sure that it was pushed a little too close and didn't allow the stick/sensor thing to activate the sump pump. It is all my fault. BUMMER...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
On the plus side, Marcia came over to make cards on Thursday during the day and Jack and I played. We got to use all parts of the new and improved area. I like to think we would have lost a lot more, had I not cleaned and organized and found places for things. The only thing we lost was the HUGE 70's carpet that was pretty disgusting anyway. I'm pretty sure we could keep it, if we really wanted. To me, it's not worth the hassle.

I just wanted to write that. I am giving up for tonight.

1 comment:

Kim Cannon said...

Oh Maralee, I am so sorry. That is awful. All that hard work, just to have more hard work. So disappointing. I am glad that the only thing you lost was the carpet.