Monday, May 10, 2010

I should have known...

Happy Mothers Day!

The day started off so well... I woke up at 6:30, and just could not sleep any longer. I got up and took a shower, made a poster for primary at church, wrapped some presents, wrote an email or two. I don't know- I did A LOT only because I had 1 1/2 hours! Jack did not stir until 8 AM!!! That is by far the longest he has slept in! Who could ask for anything more on Mother's Day. (Why couldn't I take advantage of it and sleep in too?

Jack got up- he had breakfast. I made chocolate covered strawberries, played a little. We had company in town so we had a delicious breakfast. Everything was going GREAT!

When I am working in the kitchen, this is Jack's favorite place to sit! Or on the stool in front of the freezer.

Dan went to church (with our company) he had meetings. Jack and I got ready the rest of the way and ran an errand to Brookfield to drop off some work things. Again- we were doing GREAT!

We made it to church on time. Jack was very good during Sacrament Meeting. He just wanted to sit on our friend's laps for most of the meeting.

Then for primary- 2 hours long- and I had to play piano. So Dan kept Jack, and played with him, let him walk the halls, sat with him in Dan's meetings. Dan is wonderful. Really I start to miss him during this time, so when I saw them in the halls with less than 5 minutes to go, and Jack reached for me, I took him. I had only one more song to play.

I let Jack sit in a little kid chair (still too big for him) but HE LOVED IT! he just smiled, swung his legs. I remember looking at him and thinking "This is what being a kid is all about! Just loving life, enjoying the little things. When was the last time I could just sit and swing my legs, without a care in the world?

Then it was time to play- I thought I would bring the chair closer to the piano so I could be there if he decided to get up. There- that was MY MISTAKE. I should have known...

I turn the page in the music book, and "BAM!" Jack falls forward right into the piano leg. I quickly get up, hand him off to Dan so that I can get through the LAST SONG. Jack is bleeding, bad. All over Dan's white shirt, all over himself. I realize what is going on. A nice woman offers to get us ice. Dan runs into the women's bathroom to get paper towel. And the rest is a big blurr... until we got to the car. Papa Russ made it in the car with us, and we were off to the hospital.

If I had just left him where he was! He would have had just a bruise (if he had even moved. He was really enjoying himself.) Instead, the damage... an inch long vertical slice in his forehead! 6 stitches and a popsicle and we were out the door-45 min! That has got to be an ER record.

Lesson learned: "I know you love it, but your mom should know better."
Happy Mothers Day to a Mother who is figuring things out: one day, one situation, one child at a time.

(Papa Russ took some pictures with his phone- so there may be more pictures soon!)

9 comments:

The Gray Gang said...

Oh man!!!!! Poor Jack! Poor Mommy. I'm sorry!

Chelsea said...

Yikes! Glad it wasn't any worse...and I take it Dan is feeling better? :)

Megan said...

Darn it! Been there done that with Isaac. It's like some milestone every mother has to achieve. Hopefully, just once :)

emily j said...

Oh no! I unfortunately have also learned that Sundays are the least crowded time at the ER....so he picked a good time to get injured at least :( Darn that piano!

Cami and Juan said...

So sad! I'm super impressed about the 45 minutes in and out of the ER. You'll have to get fun bandaids for him when it starts to heal a little more.

Kim Cannon said...

Lily has been so worried about Jack! When I picked her up from school today she was still talking about it. In fact, I was going to call you tonight, just so she could put her mind at ease. Then we saw your blog, and she was so happy to see a picture of Jack all smiley. I am so glad that your ER trip was only 45 minutes!

Keenan and Brittani Atwood said...

Oh NO!! I'm so sorry- poor Jack-Jack!!

kris said...

isn't that what life is all about? and motherhood? learning and growing and making mistakes. You're awesome and Jack is a tough guy :)

Manda said...

Jack! I heard from gma cindy sunday. sorry i havent called. i guessed you were pretty busy getting things back to normal. sorry to hear about his head. its not your fault.. no fun tho! he sure looks happy in that pic with the dessert tho. hehe i will call you tomorrow to see how he is doing. we were just busy moving today thats all. love you!!