Thursday, June 25, 2009

Our little monster...



We went to go visit Dr. Dan last week for Jack's 4 month appointment. He was 26 inches long, 16 lb. 4 oz. and his head is big. No surprises there. He is very strong and Dr. Dan said he is healthy!!! Shots did not go nearly as well as last time, but he survived.

The only thing Dr. Dan said that gave me a little concern is that we should be working towards 2 naps a day. I know we don't have to be doing that tomorrow, but we should maybe cut back from our 5 naps a day... at least to 4.

So... in my attempt to cut back, I was listening and watching for the cues and Jack stayed up for the first 3+ hours of the day. I fed him again and thought he would take a nice 2 hour nap. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! He fell asleep for about 20 minutes and then cried and fought sleep for HOURS!!! It continued throughout the day-it was terrible.

This week (Monday- Wednesday) he has decided the same at daycare- only 1 hour of naps total (2 or 3, 15-30 minute naps) and he has been terribly tired in the afternoon, no interest in sleep though.

Wednesday I hit my limit. This is him and me at 7:30 Wed. night...
After three days of no nighttime play, I decided that I had to "request" that he nap before his morning bottle, even if he does not act like he is tired. I think it has worked!!! Tonight we played, and played, and played. I love the evening play- tummy time and all- and am so glad to have our happy baby back.

So- when people ask me what I am doing this weekend- it is figuring out and practicing a good napping schedule, whatever it may be. 5 naps, or 3 naps, as along as he is happy!

5 comments:

Megan said...

I think you hit the nail on the head with whatever will make him happy. Whenever I tried to dictate that stuff for my boys I was always met with the greatest resistance...in the end they just figure it all out.

lindsy said...

isn't that funny. babies are all so different. I'd say if he's sleeping and happy, then 5 naps sounds great to me =) He'll narrow it down himself eventually.

Julaine said...

The pic of you and Jack is too precious. I miss the good 2+ hr naps morning and afternoon too. But when she sleeps I would never wake her up for sleeping to long! My motto: never wake a sleeping baby besides with those stats you need sleep to grow!!

emily j said...

Hey I think five naps sounds like a dream.....whatever works for him!

Natalie said...

Nila does the many naps a day too...little short 30 minute ones. It kind of drives me crazy though...I'd love a good 2+ hrs sometimes.